Sunday, March 1, 2015

Pancake Recipe

Breakfast this cold and dreary Sunday morning was PANCAKES.   I started thinking of them before I even got out of bed.

The kitchen was tidy enough to cook in this morning, thanks to Mark who washes my dishes.  Last night we went to the MAC to see a show.  "Same Time Next Year" was a pleasant enough diversion but I have to say I didn't think the performance was very good.  The second act was better than the first, but I didn't think it was very romantic at all.  Romance for me, this week, is a man who takes you out to see a delightfully awful play and then washes the dishes that the kids left in the sink.

Back to Pancakes, though.  I suggest mixing them in Fiestaware, but any bowl will do as long as you love the way it feels in your hands.  Into the Beloved Bowl, put:

  • One cup of Flour.  Mine is currently a mixture of whole wheat pastry flour and white whole wheat, but all purpose would work just as well, I think.
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • One packet of instant oatmeal of your choice. Or you could use 1.5 ounces of plain old oats, or Bob's red Mill hot cereal, or CoCoWheats if you are into those kinds of things.
Whisk these gently together, cradling the bowl in your arms like a baby, or maybe just stare intently down into it.  Add a few teaspoons of cinnamon here, or cardamom, or ginger... Or don't add anything and let your choice of hot cereal influence the final flavor.  These will not be very sweet.  If you like your pancakes sweet by all means add some sugar here but I prefer not to.

Now, into a measuring pitcher (or a bowl with a spout, or a regular old bowl even) combine:

  • One cup Milk
  • One Egg
  • 4 ounces of Applesauce (one individual serving size plastic cup's worth)
Whisk these together, then pour into the dry ingredients and stir just till combined.
Cook on a medium hot griddle or frying pan till done.
Enjoy with sliced fruit, Maple Syrup, by themselves,

Later, I made a sandwich out of the last two cold pancakes and the last of my Camembert cheese.  Might have been better than the strawberries and Maple Syrup.




No comments:

Post a Comment